Wednesday, June 01, 2005

insights

If one has incredible control over ones bladder muscles, so one is able to stop going to the toilet whatever happens, would ones bladder eventually explode? If so, how mch would it hurt?

It occurs to me that some of the pain processes in are body seem quite random, if one accepts (as one should) that evolution is real. I mean, early man, what good was it for him to know that, say, his lungs had a hole in them? I mean honestly, what was he gonna do, get a needle and thread and sew them up? I suppose maybe if they were just a little hurt it might do him good to have a lie down, but meh. i definitely reckon pain should be handled differently. Maybe a little tinkly alarm when you are in pain, and large red writing flashing in front of your eyes saying "kidney failure! Kidney failure!" I'm not a glutton for pain, I have to admit, i'm an incredible coward so do my best to avoid it.

My favourite thing about people who live in the paranormal is that they will quote popular scientific myths to back up this. One of the most pervasive in our society is that we do not use 95% of our brain. Tell you what, go to www.snopes.com and run a search on that, and tell me what you find out... The information is there, but most people choose to ignore it. I suppose to an extent we all do act on ignorance, but some people seem to go out of their way to avoid educating themselves on the truth. There is a conspiracy going round that it wasn't a plane that hit the pentagon, it was a missile. This is quite the crazy theory, as we know planes hit the trade towers, so why exactly was a missile fired at exactly the same time? I honestly can't think of anything approaching a reasonable explantion for that. And then, I haven't mentioned the plane full of people who, rather than having tragically crashed into the pentagon, have apparently just vanished.

The problem with most conspiracies is they lend the government to much credit. I suppose its nice to have faith that the government is organised, but in truth it isn't. Conspiracies as large as the ones suggested would involve hundred of thousands of people lying about something which would clearly be wrong to lie about. Especially the moon landing. The idea that in the 30 years following the landing no-one has come clean seems rather odd to me. But then I don't tend to believe in conspiracy theories, as you might have guessed.

3 Comments:

At 1:52 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

One Physicist died of a nasty bladder infection after holding it in for too long. He was at dinner with a King and it was incredibly rude to leave the table before the King had finished. Ouch!

 
At 2:18 pm, Blogger goehle said...

Yeah, that was Tycho Brahe. He also had a golden nose because part of it was sliced off in a duel.

 
At 12:11 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeh, that's the one :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home