Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Burn to a crisp

I have burnt my arms, my nose and the back of my neck. I am exhausted, and I will definitely be missing the little get together later on unless I somehow summon the energy in the next hour, which is doubtful. But it was worth it.

Today was the day of the lakeside summer festival! A big name, for a simple idea- we'd have some bands play by the lake, and sell people raffle tickets which would win them drinks automatically (we can't sell drinks, see), all proceeds going to wateraid. It went spendidly- the weather was great, the Parade bar complained but there was nothing we could do, and people bought them drinks. All in all we made over £600 through ticket sales, and probably another £100 through donations. Not bad, not bad at all.

I knew I was gonna burn. It was just obvious really, the sun was beating down, and I don't do well with the sun. But hey, I couldn't leave my post, selling 'dem tickets. So I didn't, and I'll take my pain and suffer (but probably not in silence because i'm not that kind of guy). But yeah, anyone who was at the event or helped who reads this, thanks a lot, you made it awesome.

At the end we got to tidy up. Which was fun. I should probably be excused from physical labour on grounds that I am ridiculously weak, but I suppose that doesn't cut it.

Some people don't respond very well to charity. As I went round at the start, explaning how people could obtain drinks, the lack of enthusiasm was palpable. They gave me looks which just said "leave me along, you awful, awful man", as if Iwasn't explaning how they could get affordable drinks. But they came, after a while when the afternoon got going, they came.

My only major gripe is I didn't get to keep the cool wateraid t-shirt we were all wearing. Never mind.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home