Saturday, May 21, 2005

Clicking

I dunno if I'm alone in this, but I feel like talking about it. Generally, albums just "click" for me. My favourite albums are ones that, on first listen, often sound quite poor. Its only after several listens, sometimes as much as 10, before you begin to understand how brilliant the album is. The Eels do that all the time, and indeed have for their newest album Blinking Lights and Other Revelations.

It was weird, listening to it. I was not that impressed initially, but I listened to it nonstop as I'm gonna go see them live on monday, and it grew on me to the point that I love it. Its no Electro Shock Blues, an album of immense beauty, if thats an allowable word to describe an album, but its pretty damn good.

I don't think I'm alone in this, which is weird, 'cause how CAN music get better the more you know it? I suppose you learn to appreciate the little foibles of the music- the crazy feedback just naturally becomes part of the song for you, possibly because you know whats coming next. There are songs thatI adore that I, at the very best, ignored the first time I heard them, maybe even didn't like them that much. Of course, listening to all this non-immediate music as I do probably irritates my housemates when I play it in the main room, but meh, theyre phillistines.

Thats probably why I don't like pop that much- its very immediate, which means that in the long term you just can't get the satisfaction out of the song that you do from something subtle.

This is the first time I've really posted about music, and thats mostly because I don't know the language. I know if I try to describe how I feel about an album, I will tend to go into mundanity and talk about how good it sounds, which is not interesting to read. But I think this is a way to convey how I feel about music.

Hey, I can have reflective moments you know!

1 Comments:

At 12:22 am, Blogger Unknown said...

I also get addicted to certain lines in songs that just click for me. There is a moment in a song atm that I love and I keep replaying that bit over and over.. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home