Thursday, February 10, 2005

mallrats

I watched Mallrats with commentary last night. For those of you who haven't heard of Mallrats; shame! Mallrats is the second film in the series of films by Kevin Smith all set iin New Jersey and all having the characters Jay and Silent Bob in them (yeah, the silent get a capital). They are, in order (I think, not too sure of the order actually) Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back. Annoyingly, while Kevin Smith makes sure each DVD is packed full of delightful features, the UK releases often don't have them on it! Its quite frustrating, and it actually happens quite a lot. Its rather inexplicable- do they think we don't want features? They really do make a difference- I have not bought DVDs before because of their lack of features. But meh, Mallrats does come with em, so that makes me happy.

Mallrats was apparently a flop on release, due to poor marketing. To be fair, it is probably the worst of the Kevin Smith films (although calling it a rip off of Clerks is unfair- its quite different actually), but it is still very funny, and enjoyable to watch. I would definitely recommend the movies as they are very quotable, and it adds5 to your cool rating if you quote them(in the right circles, of course. It reduces it by 10 if no-one has seen the movies).

Cool rating is an interesting thing, in that there is no limit to cool. While one fellow might be cool, there is always something they can do to be cooler. I propose, in fact, that there is no such thing as the ultimate cool, that in fact coolness is unbounded above (shout out to the mathematicians y'all).

I also realised while watching that film that I know of many men with the last name of Lee- but no women. This stinks of conspiracy to me... how does the Lee line propogate? Cloning? Budding? Or maybe it doesn't, and the Lees are immortal entities sent down from the planet blarg to watch over our destninies... Aww, that'd be sweet. But now I've discovered their secret they might come and kill me.

Luckily I haven't given away where I live. Oh damn I have.

Oh wait, its alright, only 10 people read this. And I'm pretty sure none of them have the last name Lee. Still, if I don't post again you will know why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home