Thursday, February 24, 2005

Moonbat

An insult from the right blogsphere, I found this rather disturbing list at hundred percenter. Blogs like this disturb me. First of all, the belief that being someone from the opposite political spectrum is evil..... I might wonder why on earth someone can position themselves on the right, but I would never think them evil.

Second of all, its the lowering of the debate. Abu Ghraib not an atrocity? Isn't it obviously an atrocity? I mean, I really didn't think that would be a point for debate. Surely the debate should start at "Abu Ghraib is an atrocity. I think it is indicative of torture all over Iraq." and my opponent says "Well, it is disgusting, but I really think its a one off occasion." Call me insane, but I don't want to have to quibble over such pathetic things as whether its right for prisoners (many of whom turned out to be innocent) to be tortured by US soldiers. It just isn't. Whether this is a larger problem or not is certainly a more interesting point.

I dunno, it just worries me when the debate gets dragged down to that level (not to mention some bizzare points where it seems to suggest being environmentally friendly is bad). I'm still not sure about Iraq. I do not think immediate withdrawal, as the coalition to stop the war (might want to change the name guys!) proposes is necessarily the answer. I do think it will lead to the strongest gaining power. However, the point I have heard made, that the assumption that somehow the Iraqis "need" us to tell them what to do is clearly wrong. They are an educated people who should be able to sort themselves out, but right now they do not have an army. I think the best move would be to start phasing out British and American troops and replace them with a more international force with a UN mandate, hopefully with troops from muslim countries. Meanwhile, we would train up th Iraqi army to replace this completely. And, if, at any point we are asked by the government of Iraq to leave, we should. It is not our right to stay without permission (incidentally, something I didn't know until recently, only people who did not oppose the occupation were allowed on the ballot.... probably one of the main reasons for a Sunni boycott. Democracy indeed). The thing is, I do not think this is happening. The US is building some millitary bases in Iraq. The oil hs been privatised. We do not have the look of an occupation force looking to leave. Quite the opposite.

But as I say, I am still undecided. I doubt I will march on March 17th, but in a way I will suport what they are saying. The current way the occupation is working is unsupportable.

3 Comments:

At 12:34 am, Blogger Ben said...

I'd rather be a moonbat than a gun toting, bible basher like one of the people who commented on that article.

 
At 5:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The holocaust was an atrocity. Grab an Arab prison was an unfortunate event.

 
At 2:16 am, Blogger Mr K said...

oh please, we are going to go down to semantics? The point is, Abu Ghraib was a horrible, horrible thing, and quibbling about the word we use to describe it is kind of poor- the level of debate should be above that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home