Sunday, August 21, 2005

What have you got to lose?

A detestable expression, usually said by others as a form of encouragment. Sometimes it will be phrased "You have nothing to lose!". You know what, if I actually had nothing to lose, then I wouldn't be hesistating, would I? The problem is, is that I never have a ready answer to this question, as usually theres nothing tangible, like my life, that is on the line, and more things like pride , and self respect, concepts that for some reason do not seem to hold up well to argument. I have never made that argument... well ok I probably have, and considering I spent one evening telling a friend there were plenty more fish in the sea about.... a thousand times (or so I'm told. My recollections of said evening are a little hazy), I probably shouldn't talk. But then I've never claimed not to be a hypocrite.

I love double negatives, because if you don't use them incorrectly they can't not add more flavour and intrigue to the sentence. Of course there isn't not not not not not not not not not not not a limit to the amount you can use without not accidentally not not not confusing your audience. Not one of the least difficult things to learn as a child is not not how negatives work mathematically. Obviously, not being not a student studying mathematics, such a thing is not not not not not not childplay for me. But I am not not not not going to stop this now because frankly, its starting to get on MY nerves to write.

5 Comments:

At 2:29 pm, Blogger Complex said...

You have to be carefull though, because sometimes a double negative is a stronger positive than no negatives at all.

"This could improve things"
Is different to.
"This couldn't not improve things"

 
At 3:18 pm, Blogger Ben said...

Ye that was annoying.

 
At 11:29 pm, Blogger Mr K said...

oh indeed, I do understand that rich, thats why I love the complexities of double negatives.

Oh, and I was wrong. I HAD nothing to lose....

 
At 1:07 am, Blogger Complex said...

Well, I wouldn't say I didn't dislike not using them, but it does require some care to not get them wrong.

 
At 12:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kieran, I'm intrigued! Did you or did you not lose something!?! :-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home