Saturday, August 13, 2005

Singleness

There was an absolutely awful episode of Sex in the City (yes, I watched it... meh) where Carrie goes to a party, and has to take off her shoes, and then someone takes them. And then she gets really annoyed because apparently her shoes cost some ridiculous amount of money, and she really liked them. You are meant to feel sympathy for someone who has a deep underlying attatchment to her shoes. That like a cat lady, except these cats are inanimate. And you wear them.

I can't get all that excited about clothing, because when you get down to it, its one of the few things that you buy that you don't get much benefit from. Oh sure, it keeps you warm, but you can get very cheap clothes that keep you warm. No, if you pay more, you pay for style, which only other people get to appreciate. I suppose one gets the benefit if people go "hey, I like the cut of his jib" and give you money, or sexual favours, or similar. As of yet, this has not happened to me, but then perhaps the cut of my jib is not very likeable. I must admit to not being very stylish, although I'm not sure one can give quantative values of style- "oh yeah, that outfit is completely a 5!" I secretly want to live in the 80s, when the idea of looking cool was looking like... well Madonna did then. Of course the 90s had their compensations, with the concept of girl power meaning "wear little clothing! YEAAAHHH!" which, nobody really minded. Thats the kind of political movement men can really get behind. Wink Wink.

Anyway, back to my original point, at the end of the episode Carrie marries herself (or something like this. You'd think I was making it up, wouldn't you?). The point is, should one celebrate being single? I'm about to hit the year mark, which will also coincide with the creation of the blog (the original reason for creation being a rather dismal one, but meh), and I'm wondering whether I should have some kind of celebration. Like "wooh, I'm single!" and I could wear a little hat, which could say something like "social pariah" and it'd be awesome....

On a note of anniversaries, Out of Boredom is celebrating its anniversary today. Only a little older than my blog. Heh, who'd have thought it...

1 Comments:

At 4:25 pm, Blogger Mr K said...

That IS big news!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home