Thursday, August 25, 2005

It was the summer of zero five!

Ah, August in Britian. Outside the wind blows, and grey clouds glare down. This week has featured one day of sun, and 4 days of rain. You really gotta love it. I blame global warming, but only because I tend to blame global warming for everything- its the aetheists version of God: "Man has brought this calamity on himself", only it contains a certain amount of accuracy.

Not that rain in august in the UK is particularly unexpected really, but its fun to pretend to do so. Bizzarely, I remember friends saying how it snows much less these days. My friends range from the ages of 17-22. As far as I know, it has probably snowed about 5 or 6 times during my lifetime. It might well be that before I was born it was snowing every year, but to hear certain of my friends talk, it sounds like they lived through those times, those good old days.

This is, of course, a natural things. We imagine that the past was somehow perfect- those were good days for us after all, as they were not today. There was less crime, everyone was happier etc, despite evidence that suggests that, really, we're probably all better off than we used to be. I'm not saying we live in a perfect society- we certainly don't, but we all have a pretty good life, and I'm pretty sure it is better than it was 50 years ago. Of course, I didn't live then, but with racism excepted, homosexuality banned, and sexism rife, I'm gonna make a guess and say now is a better time to live.

I know, I know, how hopelessly optimistic and happy for me, the lover of pessimism. While that is of course true, I like to think that I'm a realist. Although I expect everyone does too, I like to think they are all wrong. Actually, I say like to think... I KNOW they are wrong. Because I am of course always right.

4 Comments:

At 3:01 am, Blogger Complex said...

I believe, unless you think that racism is a good thing, you mean "accepted" and not "excepted"

What you in fact wrote suggested that the only reason the past was better than the present was because there was more racism.

This brought to you by Corvoisier Brandy. And some lemonade.

And a pint of 6X.

 
At 5:24 pm, Blogger Ben said...

What's ths Kieran used the WRONG word, does this mean that Kieran in fact was incorrect and therefore WRONG, Bwahahahahahahaa.
"Aarrrrrrrrrgh" I say as the fabric of the univerese rips asunder!

 
At 12:07 am, Blogger Mr K said...

Nah, i meant expected actually. No really- I mean if one went to a job, one would expect racial differences.

Ha.

 
At 11:20 am, Blogger Imperium child said...

Hi profile even looks smug for that comment

 

Post a Comment

<< Home