Sunday, April 10, 2005

Ye Olde Britain

I sometimes have repetitive stupidity. This is where I will make a mistake, and then repeat that mistake many, many times.

This has occured with my radio. The radio buzzer no longer wakes me up, so I only use the radio as an alarm, set to the lovely radio 4. In the old days, when I had both waking me, I'd set them 10 minutes apart so one could wake me up if the other didn't. For the past few months, I have had two alarms 10 minutes apart, of exactly the same radio show. So halfway through playing the radio to my sleeping form, the other one kicks in and plays..exactly the same thing.

I do love radio 4 though, because its kind of rubbish, but its British rubbish. The other day I switched on at the end of the program, where the narrator said "next week we will be looking at the effect of the Spanish on French music." Isn't that great? Its just like some kind of essay one might do at university, in fact it probably IS. So many random radio plays (including one about a girl with an amazing talent with the violin, but just wants to be normal!). Its like these shows are made immaterial of whatever kind of ratings they get. And its awesome, its so pathetic, and wonderful at the same time. So many smart people, all doing weird little shows in radio 4. I love it.

I love a lot of random British things. The Boat Race is one of those. Two teams, one from Oxford and one from Cambridge have a race down the thames? And there is live coverage for several hours preceding and receding? Brilliant! No really, thats awesome, although its sort of let down by the fact that the teams are now made up of people who are about 26, and have appeared in the olympics for, for whom you have to suspect they have actually made up a degree for.

Another tradition, is, of course, the grand national (which might have lost some ratings this year to that couple... can't remember their names....). Every year, I place a bet (usually on a favourite- this year Colnel Rayburn), and every year my horse falls somewhere on the course. As a family (a total bet of maybe 10 whole pounds), we normally get about half of what we put in in collective winnings. Just goes to show that gambling isn't worth it, but once a year hardly hurts.

So, there, a few great things about the UK. Remember that, as you listen to that walking sleazebag, Howard, dragging politics into the gutter by issuing trash policies on immigration and aslyum (and they are actually VERY seperate issues). Remember, on average immigration earns more than it spends in tax dollars.... But everyone knows someone who knows someone who's been hurt by it, so it MUST be bad. I'm not saying that there aren't problems, only that we aren't going about them th right way....

Urgh, i hope the Conservatives don't win. I don't want Labour to have a huge majority, but if the conservatives win... well its not an issue I can deal with anyway as its between the lib dems and conservatives here. Of course, what should really be happening is reform, because what we have right now is NOT democracy. There about 800,000 votes that count in this entire country..... Thats less than a 60th of the population.

Hmph. Its not an even issue because no-one chooses to make it so...the only hope is that Labour will need the lib dems, and then will cave on electoral reform.

But listen to me witter on. Britain's great, ya hear?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home