Thursday, April 07, 2005

I can't let you do that Dave

Hmm, I can't show you the article, because I can't find it, but in this weeks New Scientist there is an article about a new bionic suit. This will, in theory give its user freedom of movement and "super-strength". It could be used to help the disabled, infirm and elderly move about.

So far so good. But something struck me about this system. Its a Hybrid assistive Limb... so guess what its called. If you can't from the title (or indeed just a bit of common sense) then you haven't seen 2001 but they've called it HAL.

Hmm. Soon people are going to be walking the wrong way down the street, screaming for help as their suit refuses to let them go into the shop they want to.... When will man learn!!!

Anyway. I have discovered one of the most frustrating things in this whole universe that we live in. Picture the scene. I am playing on Ico (more on this later), and I get past a certain point in the game. There are no opportunities to save, and there won't be for a long time. However, the game can be paused at any time, so its no big deal. I continue onwards, knowing i've got the whole evening free, and fully prepared to pause for dinner.

I reach the final boss. At this point I am totally engrossed, not interested in what time it is, and after some craftiness (for Ico is all about the craftiness), I take her down. After I do, the game goes into cut scene mode. Just after this, my Mum yells that its time for dinner. One hour and a half of playing, and she calls THEN! Its not even a sensible time- 25 minutes past 7, what kind of crazy insane time is that? Crazy insane time, thats what. So of course my food gets cold and my mum gets annoyed (I am 15 minutes late, I suppose...). And it also means I can't enjoy the ending.

Cause Ico is a good game. It was worth the hunt. Its beautifully animated, and is a lot of fun to play (well, apart from a few moments). The central conceit of the game is you have been locked in this castle for some such reason, and you have to guide the beautiful (but apparently mentally defective) Princess Yorda out of it. Most of the game is made up of solving some puzzles, some devious, some painfully obvious, with a bit of fighting weird shadow creatures thrown in for good measure. The only way of losing is if you fall to your death during the many jumps you make, of ir Yorda gets sucked into shadow land by these shadow creatures. From this simple premise, a great game is made.

Its very short, and sometimes frustrating. Chains will be the bane of your existence (just trust me on this one), and every now and then Yorda's incompetence will get to you (just climb the f*cking ladder!), although mostly she is very pleasent. You actually grow attatched to her during the game, which is often hard to do in a game where you have to guide someone. This is possibly BECAUSE they didn't try to make her smart- whenever games do that, it often means that your AI guy who, if they die, will make you lsoe the mission, will rush off into enemy territory and get slaughtered. Because thats what intelligence does for you....

Anyway, I would fully reccomend Ico. Its got kinda Lara Croft puzzling, but better, and with less flaws. Its quite similar to SOS final escape, only without the inventory or earthqakey bits. Its simple. And thats what makes it great.

1 Comments:

At 1:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story is right here darlin! Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home