Sunday, March 13, 2005

Free Tibet!

For those of you who don't know much about it, Tibet was invaded by China way back in 1949, China claiming that Tibet was a prefecture. Things progressively worsened until the Dalai Lama(the religious leader of the Tibetan people) and various other officials escaped to India, and have remained there ever since.

The Tibetan people have a strong cultural identity, and have been oppressed heavily by the
Chinese government to try and remove that. It has got to the point where it is now illegal to be found with a photo of the Dalai Lama. Clearly, this occupation cannot stand, and it is our duty to try and help end the occupation.

Basically, if China loses enough political capital from the occupation of Tibet, then they will withdraw- they do respond to pressure, and there are several sucesses we have managed already.

Yesterday was a march from the Embassy to Whitehall, an annual occasion, with 200 or so of us turning up to protest. Crazily, I led the march! I had been roped into dressing up as a Chinese soldier, and had to try and keep the pace at the correct pace, a near impossible task, which I failed at repeatedly, but meh. It was a lot of fun, but it was sodding freezing, and as I was keeping in character I couldn't shove my hands in my pockets.

But yeah, it was good stuff, and afterwards we got food, and a little cultural event too! Cool stuff.

The bus ride up there was fraught with danger: three hours without a toilet? How would I survive? Somehow I pulled through, which is impressive considering the weakness of my bladder. I was exhausted when I got back, with all the marching and getting up early (7:30, earlierst I've got up in months. Have I ever mentioned I love being a student?).

So yeah, get involved, we need your help!

1 Comments:

At 2:13 am, Blogger Complex said...

Well done, I'm impressed, I didn't know you were doing that! I was confused momentarily by your comment on my blog though, is "Mr K" a new thing? I was unsure it was you untill I read interests including Excel Saga...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home