Tuesday, January 04, 2005

cash a cheque

Just a random anecdote for you, which I was reminded of today. A while back I went into a nationwide to cash a cheque I had received for christmas. I strode boldly up to the counter, and proclaimed

"I would like to cash this cheque please."

"I... beg your pardon?" Asked the banker

"uh... I would like to cash this cheque."

"What?"

"I..... would like to deposit this cheque into my account and then immediately withdraw the money."

"Oh, ok."

A few months after, I went into the same nationwide, and, remembering my experience, I strode up and said:

"I would like to deposit this cheque and then withdraw the amount on it please."

"You mean cash it?"

"Uh... yeah."

This is something that happens to me more frequently than I'd like to admit. Some random weirdo will not understand what I'm talking about, so I will use more simple language, and so I look like the weirdo. Its undoubtedly a conspiracy of some form.

Grah, even going into the computer room is now dangerous in my house, as my sister has naked photos of herself all over the place for her art project. Its really not someting a brother should have to see.

Despite feeling a tiny bit poor, I will, thanks to various requests, be going to the pub on wednesday, thursday and friday. Insane, isn't it? But never mind: I also went to Cambridge today, and while I resisted the many many tempting purchases, I did buy one cd. But it was only 5 pounds, so in a way it does not count. I'm getting paid 5 pounds tomorrow to get up early tomorrow, which is probably the easiest money I will ever have earnt (other than just having my grandparents visit, I guess. But I don't really earn that; its a gift), so it all cancels out. If you ignore the transport and lunch ( a delicious vegetable burger. Vegetarians can have fun too! Wooh.)

1 Comments:

At 12:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

less random more amusing please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home