Thursday, December 02, 2004

If you tolerate this, then your children will be next

Went on a march against top up fees in Wales today, which was good stuff. The SU got a leeetle carried away with their provision for students on the way- they had hired 3 coaches. 15 people turned up. Crazy, I know, its one political hotbed at Bath. To be fair, right wing nonsense has polluted the air about education (most of it spread by this govt), and also, the billls having been passed here, apathy is high.

But meh, the turnout at Cardiff was high, which was good. Its nice to see some students do still care about politics- we were SO close to winning the vote in the UK, its stupid. But yeah, it was a good time, although the placards sucked and the Bath student union banner weighed a ton.

I read a blog by some girl saying students should actually pay for their education. Yes, thats fair. Education should go to those who can afford it? Yeah, sure I could probably survive the amount the government will charge, although my parents would suffer, but thats hardly the point. Many students WILL be put off higher education by the raising of fees, which is hypicrosy when the government wants to attract MORE people to university.

There is a system in place to charge those who, through various advantages, are better off than others. Its called income tax. Its worked in the past. Education is our right- it doesn't suddenly cut off at 18.

1 Comments:

At 10:57 pm, Blogger Ben said...

I've finally updated my blog and added links! Woo eat that Paul. I also remembered my password - sweet.
Erm ye this government sucks ass, hehe doesn't it look funny written down?
I think we need one charismatic leader to show the ignorant masses the way forward!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home