Saturday, October 30, 2004

Sometimes I laugh, Sometimes I cry....

Anyone remember that song by Britney? Where she told us how she cried cried cried in her lonely heart? What was the point of that song? Was she trying to make us feel sorry for her? I never bought that. Lonliness is a horrible thing, and I hate it, but to be honest, its better to be lonely and fantastically rich than to be lonely and merely reasonably well off, as so many of us are. Not to minimise her pain, I mean I'm sure she hurts just like the rest of us, but thats my point. She hurts just like the rest of us.

We all have the tendency, myself definitely included, to think of our pain as unique. It isn't. Everyone suffers, in their unique little ways. There will be periods of your life in which you are happy, but there will still be things that get you down. Fer crying out loud, you only have to look around at the horrible injustice in the world we live in to allow pain to creep into your existence.

People having more pain does not invalidate your pain, but it should put it in perspective. I mean, sometimes we can't avoid going on at our friends about what we are feeling, despite the fact that, odds are, they are feeling it, or have felt it, too. But we have to learn to understand that a lot of people do not want to hear about your pain. Yes, if you are really suffering then the best thing for you to do is let it all out, but a lot of pain, a lot of teenage day to day pain, is something that sharing will do nothing but annoy your friends.

I dunno what I mean by this- I think everyone has a right to grieve, of course, but there are limits..... in the end, there is suffering all around us. As said so eloquently in the Princess Bride, "Life is pain." But theres some also happiness there too, if you care to look for it.

Huh, this was going to start out as a moan about Jo not having phoned.....oh the irony.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home