Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sports

I am not a huge fan of exercise, and, speaking more broadly, sports. As a result I am somewhat overweight, and I like to phrase it in that particular way because it makes me sound like I am an ounce over the standard weight (whatever that might be) rather than, you know, a stone.

I think a lot of what is to blame is how sports are taught in this country. There has been much mockery pointed at those schools that have encouraged sports without winners, or where everyone is a winner (or, equivalently, losers). Indeed I have a tendency to join in on this. Sports without some element of competition do become somewhat more dull and less exhilarating. But I can see what the goal is. The problem is that the people who are the worst at sports are inclined to be mocked for this, which inclines them to disavow from sports all together, which creates an attitude like mine, where sports become somewhat of an anathema.

I'm not sure how to solve this one. Some people will never take to sports, but despite being terrible, there are sports I have enjoyed, mostly coming to them later in life. I think a lack of pressure may be key there- an encouragment to learn from mistakes, rather than being mocked from them. Sadly small and large boys are prone to become extremely irate if someone on their team is letting them down, so sports where team effort is not vital might work- tennis and badminton spring to mind, although there are many others.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:50 am, Blogger Boo and Trev said...

I have heard talk that they are going to introduce things like yoga and pilates classes for girls. It's excercies but not competitive.
Maybe they should introduce that wii sport thing for boys!

 
At 11:07 am, Blogger Alice said...

We had aerobics at school in the girls lessons. It meant we could stay indoors and it was the hardest I ever worked during PE. And was genuinely enjoyable.

I am still prejudiced about Netball and Netballers! Mainly because the other girls picked on me and said I was the reason they lost. The teacher said I was really good though! Bullies eh.

There is nothing worse than being an unco-ordinated 13 year-old girl, with chunky thighs, having to wear revealingly short skirt/PE knickers... It was a damaging time! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home