Friday, November 09, 2007

Damp and asbestos

It has been a time of discoveries in the house of Kieran and Alice. First of all was my rather unpleasent discovery that apparently the mathematics department is made out of asbestos. Standing at ten stories high, it is the ugliest and one of the oldest buildings on the campus (being a 60s university, thats not an amazing feat), and has apparently still got asbestos there, with handy warning signs telling us not to disturb the walls or risk cancer. Well ok they don't say the cancer part, my mind fills that in when drifting during lectures.

At home meanwhile we have a bit of a damp problem. Because the house is so poorly ventilated condensation is a serious problem, and while we thought we had it under control, Alice discovered that all her shoes which had been living in a box were covered in mold. Lovely. Luckily enough running them through the washing machine or hand washing appears to have done the trick, without ruining them as well, and we have rearranged the furniture to better notice the build up of damp. The de-humidifier is on most of the time.

Also, inexplicably the storage heaters have stopped... giving out heat... which is curious. We are giving them a little bit of time to work their magic, but having no real understanding of them, for all I know they could go into hibernation for a few days to give out some extra special quality heat. Who knows? Well probably our landlady, who we shall probably phone....

4 Comments:

At 4:31 pm, Blogger oreneta said...

Mold is a pain to say the least, if you have areas of wall or such that are prone to growing their own experiments wipe them down with water that has some bleach in it...gosh, what do you call bleach over there...the stuff that makes your clothes go white if it gets on them....then try not to touch the walls after the bleach wash....it'll help a bit. Sorry about the mold

 
At 6:21 pm, Blogger Boo and Trev said...

Just spent the day with our friend Andy and Jan. When Jan was a student nurse apparently her room was so damp that her tampons broke out of their packaging

 
At 11:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The good news about asbestos is it is only a problem if you start drilling it or ripping it out of the wall. That's when the dust is created which can be a problem.

 
At 2:24 am, Blogger Kirbie said...

Sorry to hear about the damp Kieran I know the feeling lol.
Just leave gaps between your furniture and the walls for ventilation, you could try an air purifier as well as a dehumidifier if it's really bad.

I'd be surprised if they'd leave asbestos if there were any chance it could flake, so the signs are probably just for builders in case someone decides to screw something to the wall.

I've also updated my updated my blog for the first time in over 3 months!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home