Monday, October 15, 2007

Internet!

Finally I have the internet again, which is somewhat pleasing, although it took me a little while to get it set up, making me think I'd need to buy a new piece of equipment. But I prevailed over technology.

So southampton is going fairly well. My first week as an msc student is now done, and I've made a few friends here and there. The flat is pretty nice, and while we had an initial problem with damp I think it's mostly fixed now. Apparently there wasn't a lid on our boiler, which apparently causes condensation or something. Who'd have thunk it?

Southampton itself is... ok. It got bombed into teeny pieces during the war and the architecture that replaced it is not necessarily the best.... amusingly the tourist board focuses on the bargate, which will very pretty, is surrounded by ugly, so any budding tourist would probably be a bit disappointed. It's not really a tourist town- Portsmouth is the place to go I guess. Still, the area I'm in is pleasent and fairly studenty, with some decent houses, and even a waitrose nearby, which is a sign of quality. There are issues with shopping at waitrose, in terms of money, as there are so many tempting food optionsbut a recent cheque from Pfizer has solved those issues for a little while. Now we have the internet I might go so far as to claim I have finally settled in.......

The other issue with 'hampton is that it it is not necessarily designed for pedestrians. To get to any of the cinemas you need to cross some rather frightening roads, where there are lines supposedly designed for predestrians, but with no kind of crossing mechanism to get across. You essentially have to rely on traffic lights, but they have a filter on them so cars will unexpectedly turn and squish you into a pancake. Which is kind of unpleasant.

Still, I'm enjoying it here, it's just more fun to critisise!

1 Comments:

At 1:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurrah, communications restored and money in the bank. What more can you ask for!

Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home