Thursday, October 13, 2005

vegetarian arguments continues

Yeah, so I think I need another argument. While the arguments show (if true) that killing animals is wrong, it doesn't necessarily show that BUYING such products is wrong.

So

P1-either argument 1 or argument 2(or both) is accepted to be true
Sub conclusion- Therefore killing animals is either immoral or unethical
P2-the purchase of unethical or immoral items supports the industry that makes them
P3-We should not support immoral or unethical practices
Conclusion-We should not buy meat products.

Now I think P3 is pretty safe- I doubt many people will disagree. P1 is just the first two arguments reiterated and as of yet I have not been presented with a powerful argument to countet them yet.

What Rob argues against in my comments is essentially P2- the claim that our effect is so minimal that it has no true influence. I really disagree with that- every single bit of profit they do not get does hurt the meat industries, and as a large and growing group, I think vegetarians do have considerable buying power- most restaurants now provide at least one vegetarian alternative nowadays. I really do believe we have the power to effect change.

6 Comments:

At 4:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or do we?

 
At 6:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not arguing that at all! Of course they don't like lost profit. What I mean is that I don't see the possiblity of any sort of protest in the near future.

As someone inactive in campaigning for animal rights, the companies are unlikely to be worried by me. The only way they could be worried was by an organised mass protest. Until that time I shall eat meat to prevent the animals dying needlessly.

Also, I'm not really worried one way or the other. Nature has conditioned these animals to know that they are the prey of other animals.

Something I worry more about is Kieran's obvious selling out to McDonalds. My word verification is McXfvys. It sounds like it could be the name for a burger translated into some old hardly-used Hungarian dialect.

 
At 6:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, for clarification, is stealing meat products from shops wrong? As no money changes hands, you aren't supporting them.

 
At 6:19 pm, Blogger Mr K said...

Mmmm, well its wrong in that theft is wrong. But not wrong in hurting animals, no... I guess.

 
At 7:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reckon it would still be wrong, just because the shop would be forced to buy extra meat from the suppliers so as to keep stock!!

Then again, if someone was consistently stealing bulk quantities of said meat product, said shop might decide to stop selling it altogether and that would be a vegetarian victory.

Rob, you could be onto something here...!!

 
At 12:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or is he?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home