Thursday, October 13, 2005

Serenity

Went to see Serenity yesterday. For those of you not in the know, Serenity is the film version of the very popular series Firefly which was axed after only 14 episodes. 'S about a crew of cowboys in space, essentially. I never watched Firefly, but I heard a lot of good things about Serenity, so I decided to check it out.

Very good. I don't feel I lost much from not watching the series- sure I am not fully up on the back story, but the film manages to impart enough critical information about the backstory without clobbering you over the head with it. Its a tight, fun adventure, with some nice touches (no sound in space!), and some very funny moments as well as some moving ones- some totally unexpected.

I would reccomend it to go see. However, I would reccomend avoiding sitting next to the guy I was. He was clearly a fan of the series, as every single phrase and motion by the characters was rewarded with a little sniff of amusement or recognition, so much so that when some genuinely funny moments came I felt completely left out. He also occasionally added some commentary such as "oooh, nasty!" and "whoops" which added to the film immeasurably. He simmered down after a while, but it spoiled a fair amount of the film for me- the desire to reach across and rip out his throat was barely suppresible.

On the way home some drunks tried to get us to come over. When we ignored them they screamed abuse. Who'd have thought we wouldn't want to speak to such fine members of society? Its just crazy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home