Tuesday, March 29, 2005

REDRUM!

So I watched the Shining for the very first time last night. Its one of those films thats been spoofed to death, specifically by the Simpsons and Spaced, so a lot of the raw fear I should feel from the film are lost with a bizzare sense of familiary. Having said that, theres a lot about that film that remains creepy. The music, right from the start is deeply unnerving, and it keeps you on edge as, initially, mostly innane things happen. Then, of course, the tension builds, and Kubrick manages to keep it genuinely disturbing. So yeah, it still works. Without that, I don't think the film would be that much cop though. The plot feels really crammed. Its taken from a Stephen King novel of course, which I haven't read. I dunno, but it feels like the film is crying for moe length to allow you to expand on some of the themes. Sometimes I know its better to leave things unspoken, but I dunno, I kind of wanted a bit more.

But meh, still a masterfully directed film. Got a lot more where that came from- the whole Kubrick collection, as I have mentioned. So many films I haven't seen before. Can you believe I have never seen 2001 before? Shocking but true.

But yeah, off to a film quiz tonight... I think. I suspect I'll be rubbish. I've seen a lot of films but I never remember anything from them. Well, I remember the plot, but not actors or directors, unless its a really famous director. So yeah. I just suck at quizzes. Often when I go to quizzes theres always one person who knows all the answers I know and says them before me, meaning I look completely superflous, which, to be fair, I kind of am. Quizzes are arts students revenge on science students for us having better degrees anyway......

Heh, I kid, I think all degrees are worthwhile. Except perhaps David Beckham studies. And Klingon.

1 Comments:

At 2:02 am, Blogger Ben said...

Ye a pretty good film, i've seen it enough times though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home