Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Heh

As I signed onto msn just now I was quite excited to discover that I had 9 new emails. I normally have 3- 2 from bbc and new york times, and one either junk (READ THIS. NOW!) or something that I'm apparently subscribed to (apparently this includes EA. I don't have any EA games!). So that would be a grand total of 6 unexpected emails! Surely something exciting there? Nope. Rob, the head of Amnesty, somehow managed to send the same email 5 times. Sigh, there goes my hit of excitement. Talking about emails, Dabs should have refunded me for that damn wireless router ( see http://http://funnylonelylife.blogspot.com/2004/10/damn-you-stupidity-damn-you.html and http://funnylonelylife.blogspot.com/2004/10/damn-you-stupidity-part-2.html). Ben said he would have just sent it by royal mail and not have to pay £10 to return it. But he's a smart arse.

I totally agree with a recent letter in Impact, Bath universities excuse for a newspaper (I'm just riled at it cause it keeps printing right wing fanatics in the comments page. Where's the left wing students??), which basically stated the university is over crowded. Which it is. Bath keeps taking in more and more students, and when I say more we are talking thousands extra each year, but does not improve its facilities. Last year we had every single lecture in one of two lecture halls because the entire class could not fit in anywhere else. This year, thanks to everyone having more choice, the locations are a bit varied, but the crowdedness of the university shows up in other places. The huge queues for buses which ARENT frequent enough. Basically, if everyone who needed to get to campus for a certain time got to the bus stop for the right bus at the right time, some would be left behind. I know because it has happened to me several times, and this is with most students probably just staying in bed! Also, the library is stupidly full most of the time- usually you can just about manage to get a free computer if you go all the way to the top floor. And wait. But getting a seat to work at is quite difficult at times.

And lunch time.... now queuing for lunch should not affect me, as I make my lunch off campus, but unfortunately for me, Paul and Toby don't. And they frequently go to munchies to buy drink and food. And Paul complains about how poor he is because he hasn't received his loan yet.....

Not that I am perfect with the budgeting. Probably my biggest drain would be fruit. Specifically, apples. I snack on apples like some people snack on crisps, which isn't unhealthy, but can make your bill shoot up. I do try and buy from the greengrocers to cut costs (the local one is a chain. It somehow seems wrong for greengrocers to be chains), but when you go through sometimes 6 apples a day, then the prices add up.

And all the booze doesn't help either. I was good today though, I didn't buy the best of the Super Furry Animals, even though I was oh so tempted..... but I'm being a good boy, I guess. I need to get the new Manic Street Preachers album, as it is out now, and I'm going to see them at Wembley (not Cardiff, despite it being stupidly close to me. Adam phoned me up and pressured me t agree then, and, without checking, I did. I am a fool). Of course, I would have a sodding test on that day. Or have I mentioned this? Its hard to keep track......

We had a Kill bill fest on Saturday. Both films in a row, cutting off before the very last revelation from Bill in part 1, and skipping the flashback scence in part 2. Its awesome as a complete film actually. I still liked it anyway- I know a lot of people did not like part 2, probably because they were expecting an escelation of the fighting from 1. But that isn't what part 2 is about at all- its the emotional core behind the film, its Tarantino being chatty, as he always is. And the reaction of the Bride as she enters for the final showdown... amazing, and deeply touching, with the fore knowledge that the audience already has.

Incidentally, there are some amazing direction pieces in this film. Tarantino has always known how to make his characters look stupidly cool. Theres this amazing bit in Vol 1, in the fina showdown scence (I cant' remember what its called. So shoot me) before the fight kicks off. Theres just an awesome continous shot (the camera follows the motion, without switching to a different shot) which goes on for ages. Its.... good. So good. I'm gonna be getting it when it comes in a nice shiny box set, hopefully with a Tarantino commentary.


1 Comments:

At 12:04 am, Blogger Ben said...

I too (when I occassionaly leave 6 East) notice how ridiculously crowded the campus is. It seems twice as busy as last year and we have to have almost all our lectures in a room that is totally unsuitable for lectures, it's like a big classroom with rows of crappy plastic seats just like your old school chairs! The building we have was designed when there were 30 to 40 students in a year, not quite ideal when there's at least 70.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home