Sunday, November 21, 2004

Busy busy busy

My sister came to visit this weekend, hence the slight inaction. I know, a whole day without a comment from me. What are you gonna do?

Yeah, twas a crazy weekend. Went to see Finding Neverland, aided by the female company so I didn't look like such a girl. Its not a film you're meant to admit wanting to see if you are male. Theres emotions and stuff, and a distinct lack of swearing, or even someone pulling out a gun! For the uninformed, its about J.M Barry (which I have doubtlessly spelt wrong, displaying my suprememe ignorance of literature), the author of Peter Pan, and the family that inspired him to write about it. Its a really sweet and moving film that I feel is very much worth watching, although I imagine it is not for everyone. Great performances are had by all.

Bath is horribily busy on saturday. You would think, getting up at about 1 and getting into town at 3, that you might be able to get into pizza hut (yeah, I really treated my sister!), but no, there was a huge queue. We had a super duper saver lunch thingy from boots though, so that was alright. It chose to rain all day, to add to the pleasentness. But it is Bath, the home of rain, so thats hardly surprising.

We got back to get invited to see the Incredibles. Two films in one day! Surely it could not be done! Determined to fight the nay sayers, we boldly and forthrightly agreed to go see it. It was awesome, very funny,very enjoyable. I really don't see how anyone could not enjoy this film. Admittedly a few of the jokes are predictable, and the plot reasonably so too, but theres enough invention in there to keep you happy. You can just tell people are holding their breath for Pixar to mess up. After all, Disney did so quite spectacularly. Lets hope that never happens- I would probably say this is the best Pixar film, although when you compare a pixar film, you compare it to every film ever made..... A kill bill reference. Heh, great fun.

Speaking of Disney, after seeing the Incredibles we went to Ben's and watched, Robin Hood. Thats right. THREE films. I'm actually surprised no-one died from film over exposure, but everyone managed to pull through. Its a wonderful thing, watching old adverts. Honestly everyone should do it- get out your old video tapes and just watch the ads. They're, at best, hilarious. The anti-smoking campaign at the time in particular ("you know what it means if you blow smoke in a boys face? What? It means you like him!") is sure to make you chuckle.

I do wonder about the stringency of the anti-smoking campaign sometimes. Is there truly anyone left who is not aware of the danges of smoking? Also, more importantly, who chooses which slogan to put on the ciggerettes? It says surgeon-general's warning- how much time does he spend choosing on whether to put "smoking harms unborn children" or "smoking causes impotence" or "smoking gives you wings". No wait, I'm getting confused aren't I?

Now its 10 to 6 and I STILL haven't done the algebra sheet I'm meant to be doing. Possibly sitting at this computer writing this blog doesn't help much.....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home