Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I am an idiot

The university enforces a rather cunning policy where you can only use their certified calculators in exams. And you can only buy their certified calculators in their shop. Sly, eh? So I bought one for myself the other day,as I will be needing it.

A week later and it wasn't working. I tried leaving it in the sun, and that had little effect, even though it was part solar. Frustrated I tried some cell batteries I happened to have, but the calculator needs special batteries which are obtainable from god knows where. Rather than searching for these, I decided to go to the shop and buy a new one- they are only ten pounds after all.

I got it home just now, and tried to turn it on. It didn't work. I stared in frustration for a second. Then I noticed something. Unlike a lot of calculators, the clear button was not the on button. I pressed the on button. It switched on. I went to the other calculator and pressed the on button. It also switched on.

Sigh... what a waste of ten pounds.....

2 Comments:

At 11:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time we bought a new microwave - possibly our first. It didn't work so I took it back and got a new one. The new one didn't work either. But luckily our weekend guests realised I wasn't pressing the right button - and it did work after all. Bet that confused the returns department in Currys! Bad genes I'm afraid, you just have to ask someone else each time! Guess who?

 
At 1:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bigger waste of money is damn parking fines...

I'm still irate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home