Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Wedding

I went to a wedding this weekend (not mine. That would be a rather surprising turn of events, especially for me), which is actually the first I've attended as an adult- the last time I went to one I think I was about 7, so my memories of them are hardly strong. Alice's friends Paul and Eleanor were getting married. Disturbingly Paul is 3 months younger than me. I'm sure people younger than me aren't meant to get married yet! I'm 22!

Still, it was a very beautiful ceremony- a church fare, with readings and hymns, things I had not done since I was about 15, which was interesting (I still can't sing. Which is nice to know), I was particularly thrown by the slightly different version of the lords prayer than the one I was used to, with all it's modern words rather than old school catholic ones.

One of the things that I noticed about the hymns was how many of them were saying how awesome god is. They were very pretty songs, but they didn't seem to have much to do with love.. literally one song went

"Indescribable, uncontainable,You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name.You are amazing GodAll powerful, untamable,Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaimYou are amazing God"

I like that kind of hymn, because it's basically saying "God is awesome! God is awesome! Seriously he's really pretty awesome! God is really awesome! God is awesome!" Which I'm sure, if he were to exist, he'd probably know, and wouldn't really need a song to acknowledge it, but never mind.

The reception was also fun, I even danced, if by dancing you mean slowly rotating on the spot... admittedly later in the evening we did group dance, and did, indeed, do the YMCA. Which in many ways I feel dirty about, but it's done now.

I do like weddings, they are, or should be, sweet occasions, with a distinct lack of people bursting through the door and shouting, "stop this wedding, I'm pregnant with the grooms son!", although perhaps thats a pity....

3 Comments:

At 4:06 pm, Blogger Jeff said...

God is awesome!

 
At 11:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

comment of the year

 
At 10:51 pm, Blogger Ben said...

I'm so doing that a Kieran's wedding (if/when it should occur).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home