Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Smarts

In a recent republican leadership conference a questioner asked how many of them believed in evolution. Several failed to raise their hands. This is worrying, and not for the obvious, anti-evolution notions, simply because of stupidity. I may be alone in this, but I want anyone who is going to run my country to be smart.

I know being intelligent does not confer on one any kind of moral superiority, but ultimately I want someone who can understand the issues at hand, and speak intelligently about them. This person is making important decisions, decisions that will, because it is America after all, effect the entire world. They should know what the hell they are talking about.

I know that ultimately the main reason many people voted for George Bush was because he was head of the Republican party, but I simply would not want to vote for someone who comes across as an imbecile. He clearly has political cunning, but he does not, to me, seem to be someone who is competent to engage on the issues. He may have some smart advisers, but you are voting for the person, or you are supposed to be.

I don't have a full impression of the democratic candidates (or the republican candidates, for that matter), but so far they have impressed me for the most part as people who know what they are talking about. Thats the bare minimum in a leader, surely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home