Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Haloween

Last year, December time, I opened my door to a young caroler, who appeared to be collecting money for.. himself. His dad was looking threatening from the gate, and he was a tiny litle guy, and I gave him some money. I shouldn't have had to though. It's exactly the same thing with haloween. Even ignoring the use of the day as an excuse by a proportion of the community to vandalise property, I don't see why I should be giving small children sweets.

Call me a scrooge, but surely there are better ways to invest that money. I mean, it's not as if these children are mostly deprived- doubtless their parents could buy them equivalent amounts of sweets, rather than force me to give up them. I know it's not the biggest sacrifice on my part, but I feel offended that I am even being asked to give it, and being guilted into doing it. It's my damn money, and if I am going to spend it on people other than me, I'd prefer it to go to a cause that actually mattered, not making some kid hyper for an evening.

In fact, next haloween, for each doorbell ring I ignore, I shall donate a pound to charitym, I'll even make it a children's charity to make it connect to the season at hand.

2 Comments:

At 6:41 pm, Blogger cait said...

you know, that's actually a very brilliant idea.

 
At 7:31 pm, Blogger The Venomous Bee said...

I didn't think you had Halloween in England ... I guess I'm mistaken.

I concur ... brilliance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home