Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Future

It's about the time when I finally have to make a decision on what I actually want to do with my life. Most of my decisions have kind of been an attempt to stave people off, indeed, when people ask me what I want to do with my mathematics degree, I normally answer, "haven't a clue." Sadly this is apparently not sufficient any more- well not if I want to get any of the delightful graduate opportunities offered to the lovely members of Bath University.

A friend of mine gives marvelous advice, by dissing accountacy (dull), actuary work (duller) and investment banking (a 90 hour week apparently, although I would have imagined such things to be impossible). I am already signed up to a myriad of various talks about this and that future option, and there is of course the lovely if bewildering careers fair, where hundreds of different companies vie for your attention, and give out leaflets that manage to carry absolutely no information about what on earth you would actually DO for them, making me suspect that they are simply a front for a human slavery program.

Still, I am nearer to decision than I was, in that I have ruled out perhaps a couple of options (for example, I will not be a knife juggler. Or any kind of juggler for that matter, unless I develop a sudden unknown amount of physical dexterity). Most decisions are not permenant, of course, although I know myself to be inertia man, with the amazing ability to steer on a chosen course even if he isn't enjoying it! Which is not the best super ability ever, but it's hardly the worst, on the level of unpleasent flatulence man, for example.

4 Comments:

At 8:37 pm, Blogger Ender said...

I feel your pain. I'm graduating this year myself and have also succeeded in just ruling out a list of things I hate, rather than actually finding anything that looks exciting. Beware the dangers of inertia, if one falls long enough you'll eventually hit the ground.

 
At 1:16 pm, Blogger Alice said...

The problem with those careers events is that often, if you ask someone, they can't really tell you what they do, and as far as I'm aware nothing is as straightforward as it might appear. You may find that a boring sounding job has all kinds of elements that are fascinating, and a fun sounding job could have all kinds of boring sideline work. meep! I know thats not very helpful when looked at in a negative light, but on the brighter side of life, the possibilities are endless, and all you need to do is try something, thats why they create Graduate Jobs because they are like taster sessions where they can mould you. It's like a big adventure... Meanwhile my job for the day is editing and tallying a load of Data in Excel. Pure joy...really... :o)

 
At 1:17 pm, Blogger Imperium child said...

so theres such a thing as pleasent flatulence?I am already in ur pain... altho this whole japan thing was a cunning if incredibly stupid ploy to avoid work

 
At 5:43 am, Blogger The Venomous Bee said...

Gosh, you, a sciency-mathy person, gets that question too? I thought it was just us liberal artsies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home