Friday, October 13, 2006

obesity

Apparently one in four of us are obese. This aticle makes a reeasonable point, one that it didn't really need to make.

Think about it for a second. One in four of us are obese? That means if you know one hundred people then about 25 of them will be obese. Or when you walk down the street one in four people are obese. Hmm.... Doesn't sound like reality to me. I am apparently just overweight- I am 5 ft 11 and come in at 14 stones (and a bit)- I would need to be at 15 stone if I was obese. Thing is, a few months back, I was at that level... yet I don't think I was really obese- obesity, surely, is something profoundly unhealthy, and while I was certainly not fit as a fiddle, I was hardly a monstrosity. I think this is kind of silly- if you set your definitions the right way of course you can frighten people, but surely they should have some connection to reality?

3 Comments:

At 2:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you're always a monstrosity :)

 
At 5:37 am, Blogger The Venomous Bee said...

Apparently my province is the fattest province in Canada. I haven't observed that, but then again, maybe there is some obscure definition of obese that I'm not aware of. Like "Of German Descent" (which I'm allowed to say because I'm a quarter German), or "knows people who farm," or "stays warm in the winter."

 
At 1:43 pm, Blogger Alice said...

Well on the News last tuesday they showed a map of Britain with an arrow pointing at Saffron Walden of all places in their stats, and it showed that 1/6 people there are obese. I can honestly say I've only ever seen skinny people there, because most people are health conscious and eat salad all the time. I'm happy up here in York (oop north!)where people are fatter...
Anyway... back to work... :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home