Thursday, September 07, 2006

Fur- inconsistencies

As you probably know, I am a vegetarian. This is a personal choice, and while I do believe it is the right thing to do, I do not expect other people to follow me in this.

But something that has always intrigued me is the widespread opposition to the fur industry. After all, what exactly is the difference? One animal you are killing for clothing, the other for food, but neither are anywhere near necessary anymore. The fur industry is admittedly cruel, but so is much of the meat industry- yes some will attempt to buy free range but make little attempt to check if someone else feeds them, for example, and I am pretty sure that many who would never buy mink have eaten at KFC many a time.

The answer, I think, is convinience. It's easier not to buy fur, which after all is hardly the nicest material in the world, than to not buy meat. This argument is probably far enough, seeing as most vegetarians are doing the most thing- we should probably actually be vegans, but it is far more difficult to do so without inconviniencing yourself and others. The main issue, then, for me, is the way, while vegetarians usually accept that they are not truly doing all they can, being a vegetarian can produce in many an expression of shock, even disgust. I'd just like people to think through their beliefs a little more carefully before attacking mine....

5 Comments:

At 9:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think my opposition to fur is the people who wear it. It is one thing for some poor guy in Siberia who can't afford good synthetics and needs to get a bear skin to survive the winter quite another for some silly moo in Knightsbridge where it never gets below 10 degrees and she is wearing it becasue she thinks it makes her look good - or more significantly wealthy. It looks better on the animal.
Mum

 
At 8:13 pm, Blogger Alice said...

Mmm, I think for me the most repulsive thing about the fur industry is that it markets fur as something "Fabulous" which makes it even more gut wrenching. I'm tempted to compare it to what the Nazi's did to some of their victims of the Holocaust (ie Lampshades out of human skin). But I won't because I don't think It's quite in the same league. However, when footage of dogs being skinned alive (because it means the fur is softer against those bimboes skin) was shown on TV about a year ago (something to do with Heather McCartney and her campaign against it)it was not merely the shocking sight of this that struck me, but the fact that people in the fashion industry just didn't give a damn. And they look like idiots in it too, even the ones in fake fur, (but don't get me started on that one!) :o) As for the meat thing, I honestly think Vegetarianism is great, but it's not essential. I just don't buy meat unless I can afford the better treated stuff, and I avoid anything I think might have been treated badly. I think that's a start.

 
At 2:42 am, Blogger cait said...

you know what I don't get? People against fur who wear leather. What is that?

 
At 5:15 pm, Blogger The Venomous Bee said...

It's because many animals with fur are cute, and cows aren't to anyone but me.

 
At 2:30 am, Blogger Ben said...

Well if you're gonna kill the cows for meat you might as well use the leather too?
A calf once licked my leather jacket - probably proves that:
a) cows like leather jackets
b) cows are cannibals
or c) it was the cows mother :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home