Sunday, September 10, 2006

Abortion

I always like to tackle the simple issues....

So, abortion. I'm gonna come right out and say I'm pro-choice, after all this is hardly an issue to look at objectively, I doubt it is really possible. The problem with this argument, when I have encountered it on many and sundry forums, is that it becomes quickly polarised, with both sides accusing the other of being disgusting human beings.

The truth is, of course, that both are stark choices. Do you kill an unborn child, which has the potential to be anything in life, or do you force a woman to bring to term a child they do not want, probably cannot afford, and are probably not ready to raise, undoubtedly causing much misery for both the mother and the child.

So why am I pro-choice? Several reasons. First of all is to do with where you draw the line. Where exactly does life start? Any sperm or ova could possibly lead to life, but the vast majority don't- see my post below on contraception. So is the point where a sperm and an ova meet special? Maybe. Some claim that this is all you need for life to form, but this is not entirely true- miscarriages can certainly happen, and without the womb, that litle bit of genetic tissue is not going to mean much. It's difficult, certainly, but I think the line to draw is the point where a fetus can survive outside. Ultimately forcing people to keep an unwanted child causes nothing pain for all concerned, and in some places, and this I think is vital, illegal abortions happen anyway. When abortion is banned, and was banned, it still continues, but the only people who can have safe abortions are those who are well off, while the poorer may well resort to far more desperate and dangerous methods.

Additionally, this is an issue where I think it's very difficult for men to hold the moral high ground when being pro-life. After all, they never really have to deal with it either way- they can just walk away, and even if they don't, they don't have the clearly visible signs of pregnancy, and the many and sundry hindrences this can cause. It's very easy to make a choice when you don't have to deal with the direct consequences after all.

I would like to quickly deal with the issue, raised by some, that people enter into abortion lightly. I really do not think this is true. I think it is a horrible choice for anyone to face, and I think most treat it with severity, and will remember that choice for the rest of their lives.

Ultimately, I would be happy to live in a world where no-one wanted abortions, but I don't, and I believe the choice must be there.

4 Comments:

At 11:21 pm, Blogger Ben said...

I guess it comes down to your spiritual beliefs. I see creatures - humans included as something little more than machines. I don't believe in souls and therefore believe that a person is pretty much contained within that icky brain thing. Although I can see the attraction of souls and all that stuff - it's a nice idea, but I have to base my life on what I can actually understand.
Does this mean I hold less value for life than others? No, I certainly don't think so - in fact I think I probably respect it more believing that once it's gone it's pretty much gone (even if I occasionally like to think that it actually has some sort of everlasting quality, but that's irrelevant to this post).
Anyaway I think abortion is up to the mother and agree that it is emotional, but not like biting off the head of your baby.

 
At 4:22 pm, Blogger Imperium child said...

All I had to say was in my abortion post a while back, i dont think my views have changed.... could be wrong...

my old abortion blog

 
At 4:52 pm, Blogger cait said...

you know what *I* don't like? Fiscal conservatives who are pro-life. What, we're going to dismantle the social safety nets that would make it easier for women to carry a child to term if they chose to? It's like they only care about humans as long as they're unborn. Of all the women I know who've had abortions, in every case it's because they weren't given the support they needed, either morally or physically, or both. It wasn't what they wanted to do, but they didn't feel like they HAD a choice. And they have been absolutely haunted since.

Okay, that being said, I don't think it's fair to say that being pro-life is purely a religious issue -- scientifically, *new* life begins at conception (i.e., however fragile, the fertilized egg is a separate entity from its mother or father). Now, whether that constitutes a HUMAN life immediately or not is up for philosophical debate, but a belief in *life* is not necessarily a belief in the soul. I'm not pro-life because I'm Catholic; I'm pro-life because I'm a humanist.

Well, and also coz of my personal experience with abortion--one of my best friends is the product of rape, and I know my mother's doctor didn't want her to carry me to term, but she did. And if either of our mothers had been pro-choice, well...I don't know if I'd be here typing this.

 
At 9:55 pm, Blogger Phil Plasma said...

I'm line up on the pro-choice side. Mostly because I think choice is open and progressive and allows for abortion and non-abortion. The alternative only allows for one option.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home