Saturday, June 24, 2006

Victims have a say

I have to say this does not inspire me with hope. A lot is made, at least over here, of "victims rights"- the idea that somehow the criminal is favoured over the victim in a court of law. This is an interesting notion, as I'm fairly sure one of them is going to end up in jail. Heres a hint- it's not the victim.

I do understand that the victims of crime can feel a little upset by this whole process, and they should be counceled and looked after, certanly, but ultimately a court of law is a place where you decide on someone's future, and it must be just and fair, and frankly letting the victim decide the punishment does not seem particularly just to me. Admittedly this is just a statement, but does this mean that if a victim is more upset in court, and puts on a better performance than one who is perhaps more forgiving, the criminal has a longer sentence. Surely the crime is wrong no matter how well the victim takes it emotionally......

I hate this government, I really do.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home