Saturday, June 10, 2006

Packing

Packing is usually an activity to be avoided until the last possible moment, with possible exceptions being an uncoming nuclear missile or similar. I was very amused, back in those very much post 9/11 days, to get a leaflet telling me what to do in case of a nuclear holocaust. Being within an hour of London, I suspect my option would be to die.

They are now making films of 9/11, indeed, one, United 93 is already out. It looks quite good, I have to say, it has had very good reviews, although I can't imagine it makes for fun viewing- but that's hardly the point. I don't know about the other one, WTC, but the trailer makes it look quite desperately mawkish, perhaps Oliver Stone was a little wary given his history with JFK of offending people, and made a film which looks like pap.

I know some people are saying this is too soon. I don't know, to be honest. 9/11 was a horrible thing, but to be fair they did actually consult the families directly affected when they made these, and ultimately thats surely all they need to do? I mean no-one else really can claim anything but a visceral reaction. Ultimately, in our crazed capatilist culture these films were always going to be made- it remains to be seen if they are artistically worth while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home