Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Kieranmail

Way back in the day, and by way back, I mean 5 or 6 years ago, which, when you've only lived 21 of them, is like.. well a quarter of my life, I wrote a precursor to this blog called Kieranmail. Essentially, enamoured by this fancy new email, and being in possesion of a large amount of email addresses (some of which I actually have no idea when I acquired. But then my memory of past events is so incredibly poor this is hardly surprising), I decided to email my views on everything. Looking back on some that I have saved causes some amusement, as well as some embarrasment, as apparently I felt the need to point out to everyone how lonely I was, being very much girlfriendless at that age. Emo, would be the word, although a little more self deprecating than the word suggests.

I actually gathered a small following from these emails, and indeed Alice's first knowedge of me was not through any personal contact but by reading these emails instead, which seems to have turned out ok, so I can't have been doing everything entirely wrong- unless her affection for me is in spite of those emails, a reasonable sentiment. Of course, some people were less pleased to get unsolicited bulk emails landing in their inbox, for some reason. Sadly, many of my readership from those days did not transfer to my blog- clearly actively clicking a link for my ramblings is too much, which is, on reflection, probably fair enough.

A friend went as far to suggest that I should email out these entries, something I considered but, to be honest, could in no way be bothered to do. This was brought to mind by this brief video by Neil Gaiman, of whom I am quite a large fan- I have recently read Ananansi Boys, and would reccommend it, although I would point out that every book he has written has been about a guy who's life is turned upside down by some supernatural occurences. Admittedly I have yet to read the Sandman graphic novels, but I except the principle to hold.

I would post some examples of my better writing back then (I'll spare you the emoness, more for my own sake than yours) but the computer with the big archive is currently switched off, and I'd hate to utilise any kind of effort.

4 Comments:

At 4:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It doesnt hold true for Sandmann.

 
At 1:49 pm, Blogger Ben said...

You could make an automatic mailing list, but surely anyone who cares can visit the blog so it would most likely be pointless.

 
At 11:01 pm, Blogger Imperium child said...

I believe effort is necessary if only for my sake. I enjoy a good laugh u see :D

 
At 4:44 pm, Blogger Phil Plasma said...

I occasionally look at posts of mine which are still public. Like you I find at least some of them intriguing, I just find the Google usenet interface a bit of a nuisance compared to FreeAgent. I was posting to alt.good.morning as early as November of 1993 and had a rather prolofic posting career from then until about 1996. Since 1996 sporadic at best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home