Sunday, October 30, 2005

Legend of Zorro

WARNING: DO NOT SEE THIS FILM. IT IS AWFUL.

I did enjoy mask of zorro. I really did. It certainly wasn't the smartest film I had ever seen, but it was enjoyable enough, with some sword fights, and some nice interaction between the characters (its always fun to have an old mentor section). But I had heard bad things about this film. Truth be told I would never have gone if I had not learnt that a bunch of my friends were, and, ever the sheep, I followed.

Still, I thought, as I sat dreading what was about to come, a bit of mindless fun might be enjoyable?

Sigh. Well the problem is is that when I say mindless I don't mean that at all. For action scenes to work well they actually have to be well directed, and inventively done to entertain. Not, as happened in this film, having practically every bad guy (well, henchman anyway) dispatched by either getting hit in the groin or the arse. For crying out loud. There was a surprising lack of sword fighting in the film; when that was happening it was vaguely enteraining. The plot was awful, with a touch of the Dan Brown to it, and the cliches of a sequel were there.

Worst of all was the child, who was given an irritating amount of screen time, essentially a modern day dennis the menace. Oh god, and the horse! The horse.... Sob. The funniest this film got was when it wasn't intending to (consider- the run away train about to crash into a train where, inexplicably, the governor had stopped to sign a treaty. There was a signal RIGHT in front of it, which could easily have been set to switch the tracks. This occured to ONLY the irritating child).

To be honest, if you are aged from 7-10 then you'll probably enjoy this film. Actually, if you were like some of the audience, who appeared to have been lobotomised to enjoy that tripe, you'll like it anyway. Anyone with any taste... steer clear.

EDIT::I'd like to point out that this one of the few films I ever looked at my watch during. Its 2 hours long... 2 hours too long really.

2 Comments:

At 4:58 am, Blogger Jeff said...

I know how painful it is...

 
At 7:52 pm, Blogger Ben said...

I was vaguely entertaining - I wouldn't have chosen to see it, but I didn't hate it. I can see how you could though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home