Sunday, October 24, 2004

Resident Evil 2: Apocalypse

So, against my better judgment, I went to see Resident evil 2 today. Unfortunately, there was a concensus against me, and unwilling to spend the evening in by myself, I came along.

I am always wary of films directed by Paul W.S Anderson as his track record his hardly impressive. Indeed, there are few films that are not based on video games which he has made- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0027271/ for a filmology. A quite disturbing list. Which is always bad. And, of course, not only had he directed this film, but he wrote it too.

First of all, lets talk ludicrous. All average run of the mill thriller films have their plot holes, but this has a monopoly on them. One special talent of the film was to take normally ludicrous moments from other films and make them more ludicrous. For example, a character can't get into his computer account at one point. So he types in "web search:hack crawford6" and a few seconds later he is granted access. Or when some characters are trapped inside a church by evil super zombies, and there's no escape. Apart from the other character bursting through the stained glass window on a motorbike, of course. Huh, why didn't I think of that?

Theres more, but I'll spare you. Lets look at the direction now. I suspect that some of the problems come from the requirement to keep the rating down, but some moments are inexcusable. Insane camera angles, zombies randomly blurred, oh good lord it hurts. Almost made me feel sick. I can imagine Andersons conversation with his camera man

"so yeah, every time theres violence, shake the camera."

"I beg your pardon?"

"Just shake the camera round randomly a lot. it'll be great."

And then at the end theres the wonderful 15 minute set up for the sequel. i've never seen a film more shameless. In its defence..... ah screw it, this is just a bad film when you get down to it

Of course, the major problem with this film is the way characters run with their guns drawn. Anyone who has played the games knows that you can't do that! You have to stop and spin slowly in a circle and THEN shoot.

2 Comments:

At 2:51 pm, Blogger Ben said...

Well I liked it. Sure many parts were highly predictable, but what do you expect for a zombie movie. The hacking bit was hilarious, I understand the need to keep it short, but they should have just granted access.
At least this one had a better connection to the game.
Those other films he made were great! Event Horizon, Mortal Combat is so funny!
The motorbike bit was also cool :p

 
At 2:54 pm, Blogger Ben said...

I forgot to mention that you sicken me by not mentioning Excel Saga, as a favourite in your profile. Scum!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home