Saturday, October 23, 2004

Kieran, the failed political activist

Last night there was an enjoyable social of the one world group, Amnesty international and the vegetarians and vegans society.

Of course, vegetarians and vegans scare me. I like eating meat. I like it a lot- for me, the focus of a meal is the meat, and if you didn't have meat then it would be like a meal..... without meat. Indeed, when I went to xante this year, as a flatmate has just reminded me, I ate nothing but mixed grills.... mmmm, mixed grills. But I am actually quite subsceptible to the arguments by vegetarians. I'm pretty certain they hold the moral high ground over me. I have this kind of, very basic, justification to protect my status as carnivour, but I know if I let a vegetarian hear it then they would tear it apart. And I really like steak......

But luckily the issue didn't come up during the issue, instead I discussed religon, animal research, and, of course, real ale. Real ale and me have an odd relationship, because I like the idea of it. A pleasent beer for less money than you pay for your synthesised lager. The only problem is that if I am in the wrong mood, the bitter will taste foul and I will not be a happy Kieran. But I am trying to acquire a taste for it, because I really, really need to save money. My normal plan not to cut into my loan isn't exactly working.....

At the end of the evening I went back to Alex's where there was discussion of anarchy, a fascinating discussion. It was all started off by a discussion on the protest I had intended to go to today. There was, in fact is, a demo against Esso at one of the stations because of various policies they have- see http://www.stopesso.com/. Incidentally, thanks to our glorious prime minister a member of Esso is currently in the House of Lords. Thats right, not only do have Esso have massive lobbying power, they have someone in parliament. So yeah, it was at 11 today. And then we had a discussion about the effectiveness of protest while still trapped in the current system.... til 3 in the morning. I came home and went almost instantly (read half an hour later) to bed. Then I woke up at 12:30

I am the best political activist ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home