Thursday, September 02, 2004

Binge Drinking

I read today in new scientist ( a weeks old new scientist, I'll add) that apparently binge drinking is bad for you. This came as quite a surprise to me, because I thought throwing up all the contents of your stomach at the end of the evening was a pleasent way to get in shape.

Hmm. It proclaimed that most young people do not know the dangers of binge drinking. Um. No. Generally, the reason people do things is we don't care what the dangers are, we're too busy living in the moment. I have friends, articulate, intelligent friends who smoke. Its something they enjoy, although I have no reason to do so myself. They know the dangers, as do we all, and while, yes, you should throw in our faces every now and then the idea that these things are gonna kill us, you'll have to do more than that. Money, I would suggest. If the government really wanted to do something about the problem of binge drinking, it would raise taxes on drink. Because I will drink less if drink costs more. Personally, I do binge drink, and I will continue to do so- its a thing I do with friends every now and then, and while getting drunk is not the target normally, it will undoubtedly happen. I hardly need to mention the beneficial effects of alchohol, as most have experienced them, but I cannot imagine a party without them. I mean, boring, low alchohol parties last the maximum of 3 hours. They have to, because no-one sodding talks. Well, they might talk, but theyll only talk to their friends. The loosening of tongues that alchohol guarentees means a party can go to the late hours as you meet and talk to new and different people.


Now I know its unhealthy to binge drink, and I know some people do not take their drink well, but honeslty the media have recently acted as if this is the worst problem to confront mankind. The problems tend to become problems only when there is a report in the tabloids about them, then we can stir up a bit of media obsession with the issue, and its suddenly the only one people care about. I admit that binge drinking IS a problem, but I refuse to feel bad for doing it myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home