Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Group blog- the pub conversation

So, for the next four days myself and three others- Rich Ben and Fred will be blogging on the same topics. Just because.... My first topic is the pub conversation.

The pub conversation is an interesting one- or often not an interesting one depending on the company you are in. Still it has a unique flavour to it, as the entire building you are in essentiallity exists for you to get drunk in. It's possible theres darts or pool available, but in those case the pub conversation becomes a rather stitled one.

The conversation can always be enlivened, especially at the start, when everyone hasn't drunk enough so it might be a little awkward, by the commencement of drinking games. Most students know a fair gamut of games, partially as self defence, as theres nothing worse than having to learn the rules to full metal jacket fizzbuzz for the first time when you are the only one they are alien to. This approach to pub conversations can lead to another stand out piece where pubs have the edge over boring coffee houses- the potential for vomit. I suppose really bad restaurants might induce this as well, but hopefully with less frequency than some pubs do, where in certain venues it feels like a good night if the sinks aren't full of sick.

Still, for the most part my conversations in pubs avoid both of those staples, and we generally stick to the classic sex religion and politics gamut, with video gaming thrown in for good measure, to annoy Nics, Rich's girlfriend, and indeed anyone who doesn't get games. For the nerds of society, talking about video games is revenge for all the times we are excluded by conversations about sports. Which are obviously far duller than video games anyway....

5 Comments:

At 11:36 pm, Blogger Fresher said...

I propose a game of full metal jacket fizzbuzz SIR! hehe classic stuff

 
At 2:31 pm, Blogger Alice said...

I have never played full metal jacket fizzbuzz... I may be opening myself up for ridicule...but I want to know what it is... :o)

 
At 11:32 pm, Blogger Mr K said...

oh god, explaining full metal jacket fizzbuzz in the comments section.

Well. You begin the game by saying this, and exactly this

"SIR I propose a game of full metal jacket fizzbuzz sir to my left sir one sir."

(or to my right)

Then the next person says

"Sir two sir"

"Sir three sir"

"Sir four sir"

"Sir if I could die for a word sir"

"Sir six sir"

"Sir that word would be poontang sir"

And so on- multiples of 5 are replaced with if i could die for a word sir, multiples of 7 with the other. I think the first might reverse direction and the other might skip a go... I can't actually remember. Any mistakes or pauses cause a forfeit and you start again. Amusingly, the hardest part of the game is often starting.....

 
At 10:15 am, Blogger Alice said...

ok... I thinkg I would right royally screw that one up...hehe! I can't speak normally unless it's nonsense... oh wait... the real test for me in that case is actually speaking presubscribed nonsence... plus my fear of getting my timestables wrong would hamper my concentration somewhat... :o)

 
At 6:20 pm, Blogger The Venomous Bee said...

I've got the problem that I can't make small-talk. I also have the problem that my conversation (esp. if I'm out with Cait) is not for public consumption. But I figure, what use is discussing the weather, if we can talk about the construction of the Male Gaze? The side effect of this is the basic assumption that I'm hideously pretentious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home