Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Tolerance for flavour

I remember strongly disliking the taste of wine, beer and spirits, and, for that matter tea. I was told it was an acquired taste... and indeed I have acquired a taste for all these things. But why? I really did not enjoy most of these flavours the first time I encountered them, so what inspired me to drink them again? The answer is of course peer pressure, although I have to wonder about the first people making ethanol based drinks, "wow that tastes like crap! I'll drink some more and see what effects it has on me!"

This is almost as baffling as the person who discovered nettle soup. That is some serious desperation for food right there- surrounded by various plants, and thinking, "I am HUNGRY. Lets see.... well I don't know most of these plants so I better not... hey.... nettles! I'm sure they'll taste delicious!"

Even better than this is the puffer fish which you have to chop a billion pieces out before finding the non poisonous bits left. I wonder about that chefs first few meals, "hey, this is a new meal I'm trying... have a bite.... ah....... another death. I guess THAT bit is poisonous as well!"

It does make you think really. Some recipes are so bizzare and overcomplicated that I just can't imagine anyone ever thinking it's a good idea. Yet someone did, and through that path revolutions happen...

3 Comments:

At 1:35 pm, Blogger Alice said...

have you ever eaten nettle soup? I'm told it's.....ok..... I watched a TV programme once where this family wanted to pay of their mortgage...to do so, they really really really tightened the belt... and one of the things they had was nettle soup... and more nettle soup... and more and more nettle soup... oh and they sold things and raised money and worked very hard, until finally two years later, they paid off their mortgage... marvelous... :o)

 
At 1:37 pm, Blogger Alice said...

I do know some stupid shite don't I...!

 
At 5:05 pm, Blogger The Venomous Bee said...

Nettle soup? It sounds like an entertaining children's morning program. But of course, I'd try it myself given the chance. In fact, I'm going to go look it up right now and try to approximate it this weekend. I'll let you know how that goes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home