Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Internet, home of... well a lot of stuff

One of the disturbing undercurrents you get on the Internet is extreme viewpoints being expressed of all different sorts. One that sometimes surprises me is the heavily mysognistic language used by some people on the internet. I do not have a whole host of links, but it wouldn't be too difficult to find some.

I think sometimes it's very easy for people to reinforce these kind of prejudices by remaining within tiny communities which don't really exist in real life- people with extreme views are usually more geographically seperated, and this allows them to communicate. I'm certainly not the first to have these thoughts, but it's not something I usually ponder about. I tend to like the internet, so do not like critisising it.

A good example is this article. Utter nonsense, claiming a completely distorted view of reality which anyone with any brains would dismiss out of hand... yet most of the comments are in complete agreement.

Bafflingly at the end of the article, he gives advice to stop your son being accused of rape, which include "Never have unprotected sex". Huh? How would that stop one being accused of rape? It's rather good advice for different reasons, but.. meh.

To counterbalance the stupidity, why not read feministing- it's a pretty good blog on feminism that I think is worth a read whatever your gender.

1 Comments:

At 3:28 pm, Blogger Alice said...

I've read some sensationalist crap in my time, but really... that was some sensationalist crap... how about an artical that says "Stop having random sex with strangers!" Get a girlfriend or have no sex at all... thats what I say... tsk! geez louise! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home