Monday, April 23, 2007

Why ARE you a vegetarian?

I have been a vegetarian for two years now, and along the way I have had a surprising amount of people try to persuade me not to be one. For some reason, there is something about being a vegetarian that brings out, if not an urge to convert me, at least some amount of bafflement. Some people become very defensive, tell me they love meat too much to quit, to which I simply smile and say fair enough.

I always knew when I became a vegetarian that I would not preach- I had no interest in making a conversion, and would really only bring up that I am a vegetarian when prompted by others. I feel it is the right thing to do, but am aware other people draw different lines in the sand. After all, if I truly had the courage of my convictions I would be a vegan, something that I am simply not prepared to do at this stage in my life.

Still, some people, having been told that I am a vegetarian, will be overly curious- I guess they could just be making a conversation, but my other beliefs have never really been as dissected as this one. I rather think it's a pretty simple one to an outside observer- I clearly don't want animals to die just so I can eat. In fact there is an environmental aspect to my beliefs as well, but as I say, I don't overly want to get into it- I have already posted why I'm a vegetarian.

To be fair, when I was younger I acted the same to the notion of being a vegetarian. There is a scathing email floating somewhere in someone's inbox still (probably) sent enmass (when I liked sending my opinions unasked for. Because I'm like that), where I mock vegetarians in a somewhat uninformed manner. I can't remember what got me all riled up about vegetarians back then, we are a rather harmless demographic, other than (hopefully) to the meat industry. Anyone got any notions?

3 Comments:

At 9:08 am, Blogger Boo and Trev said...

As your mother I have to justify you being a vegetarian! People will argue with me about it while I am eating meat! Most bizarre.

 
At 12:17 pm, Blogger Alice said...

sooo... got any good vegie reciepies for next year? I have an idea about making stuffed peppers as an experiment... :o)

 
At 12:19 pm, Blogger Mr K said...

reciepies? Sounds tasty!

As always... no. I guess I could do some experimentation this summer. But I probably won't....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home