Tuesday, March 13, 2007

SU elections

I'm not entirely sure voting for someone in the SU is entirely worthwhile. They hardly have much policy power- at least my impression of the SU has always been one of a body that bows down to whatever the university administrative staff choose. So why vote? You wouldn't vote for administrators, and thats essentially what sabbs seem to be- it's like voting for civil servants. Every single candidates poster involves some kind of bizzare pun about their name, or the position they are applying for, and very few have much to say on policy..... Finally of course I'm leaving next year, so it's hardly as if my the new set of sabbs will effect me.

Despite all these excellent arguments I am nevertheless currently voting. I honestly don't know why....

4 Comments:

At 9:48 pm, Blogger Ben said...

I find Fat Paxton' campaign awesomely amusing and would vote for him if I could be bothered. P.S. Don't vote for Pistol Pete he's a nutter.

The SU elections are basically a popularity contest.

 
At 8:29 pm, Blogger The Venomous Bee said...

I don't think I EVER voted in a students union election ... namely because I get the impression they only tell a select, special few when and where to do so. And its always on a Friday, when Art and Art History students don't have class anyway so we'd have to make a special trip anyhow.

I'm beginning to think its a conspiracy, actually.

 
At 10:20 pm, Blogger Alice said...

SU elections are always strange because you can often predict who the favourite would be. I wanted to run for VP of Ed and Welfare last year, but the thing is, I reckon people just vote for the candidates with the most flattering pictures. Unless you've taken the time to read the board plastered with manifestos, in a busy corridor, you won't have much opinion either way. I still say vote though, because my SU has been great, and the Sabs do tonnes of work for the students. Lets face it, even national elections are largely judged on popularity and who looks to be the favourite. Only a certain percentage of people really look at the policies closely before voting. :o)

 
At 11:27 pm, Blogger Ben said...

Wahey I voted!
There were a select few who won me over with witty campaigns (Fat Paxton anyone?).

My main reason was to vote and make sure that Pistol Pete was 6th and I'll have a vested interest in how few votes he has by the end.

It's funny you should say that Alice, as all of the rest were pretty much judged on how good their pictures were "he looks like hannibal and frightens me, she has the best hair, they have the nicest smile, gah Pete couldn't you find a photo where you don't look like a freak, etc.) Anyway your blog picture's great, so I'm sure you could have won it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home