Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Adverts for church?

Something thats got me bemused for quite a while are adverts outside churches. You know the ones... "Jesus christ was born 2000 years ago. Worship him here!". They have always mystified me. I am aware that in the US some adverts are even more blatant, with churches actively pushing themselves... but does it work?

I mean, I suppose in a big city where there are thousands of churches, picking where to worship might be a genuine choice, but these signs appear in small towns and villages all the time, where there is a maximum of one church of each denomination. I doubt anyone is going to switch based on a sign telling them Jesus was born 2000 years ago- if they don't know that, they're probably not very good christians. Also it's not like the churches themselves aren't noticable- these little signs are on big stone buildings, generally the biggest buildings around for the most part.

I dunno, maybe I don't get it cause I don't believe. Any thoughts ye faithful?

5 Comments:

At 10:30 pm, Blogger Ben said...

I guess it's more to get people who otherwise wouldn't bother to go to church rather than steal people from other churches.

 
At 3:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kieran this is awesome, look at mannerisms (1). It's a link from Geoff's website to see how sad you are essentially.

http://www.mathmo.org/test/mathmotest.html

I'd have to say trivial.

 
At 9:14 am, Blogger Imperium child said...

maybe its to try and coax people from other religions, anyway my favourite church poster is

ch_,_ch, whats missing?

classic

 
At 1:40 pm, Blogger Alice said...

Those signs weren't an advert. It's about Christianity having relevance in the 21st century and that, in the new millennuim, Jesus has been around for a while now! It amuses me how atheists pounce on the most arbitrary thing to make a point. They misconstrue everything for their own convenience. It doesn't hold water with me I'm afraid.
I'm very impressed by the ch_,_ch thing. Excellent!

 
At 11:12 pm, Blogger Mr K said...

I'm not really making a point to be honest... I'm just saying the signs strike me as bizzare- I don't see who they appeal to, and they seem somewhat tacky tacked on to the usually attractive church buildings- I rather think they can speak for themselves....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home