Wednesday, July 05, 2006

tangents

I think if I had a choice of minor super powers, the sort that could only be used in a very convient manner, and not really as a weapon (you know, from a mior sort of genie- he comes from an inkwell instead of a lamp), I'd pick the ability for my fingers to turn into knives. Not like wolverine style knives, as that could be useful for fighting crime, but sharp enough to do every day cutting. Think how socially useful that would be! Your friend buys a new cd- you cut through the cellofane- cork trapped in a bottle, you could.....

OK, cancel that, I want swiss army hands. Yes, it would look a little weird when I started picking my teeth in public, and I'm not entirely sure how I would turn my hand around enough for the corkscrew to work, but I'm pretty sure it would be awesome. In a minor super power sort of way.

On a tangent, did you ever use those early learning centre scissors? I'm not entirely sure what the point of claiming them to be scissors was, as they couldn't really cut through paper- you'd have more joy just tearing things. Why do they exist? Do children desperately feel the need to pretend they have scissors? I suppose they might manage to break through a crayon with enough applied force, and they might be able to get through cake, if you ignore the hygeine issues, but ultimately they have to be some of the most pointless inventions ever. Still, I suppose most of the things you give children lack much functions. Although, then again, it's always nice to be reassured that the cow does, indeed, go moo. I like the fact that in different languages animal sounds are slightly different, leading to the idea of going through different borders and getting cats with french accents (which is odd, because I was heading into Germany). Sadly, this, and Disney films, appear to have lied to me here, as I have never met an animal with a different accent. Or rather a group of animals I should perhaps say....

1 Comments:

At 6:02 pm, Blogger The Venomous Bee said...

Does flying cound as a minor superpower? I'd like to fly. If not, I'd like to be able to catch the bus whenever I wanted without fail and instinctively know which buses are going where I want to go. That would be so mightily keen ... I'm speechless.

Children's scissors: you know, in my experience (and I have a bit because I teach children's art classes) kids are far more capable of not cutting themselves on big scissors than anyone seems to give them credit for. In fact, when it comes to art, children are a lot better at everything than anyone gives them credit for. I've given three-year-olds regular scissors, and they've done brilliant little works that they were proud of ... more so than if I'd given them stupid little plastic scissors and they'd messed up because of this. I find that if you trust most kids with something (scissors, permanent markers, good watercolor paints, india ink ...) they will rise to the occasion. And they think you're cooler than their regular teacher and you get lots of hugs at the end of the class.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home