Monday, March 06, 2006

on lack of basic knowledge

So a weekend of no blogging. What on earth was our favouritist blogger in the whole wide web you might ask.... well you might anyway. Was he off visiting his lovely girlfriend, or perhaps involved campaigning for human rights? Well... no. Not quite. This weekend I mostly played on Empire at War.... A star wars game in which you wage war across the galaxy.... what can I say, they needed me to help them!

I was of course doing other important things, so important that I can't possibly tell you what they are.

Anyway, I want to talk about things we want to, but are afraid to ask. I think this is a problem that affects everyone, in every walk of life, on every subject. There are always subjects that, for one reason or another, we are entirely clueless on....and yet everyone assumes we know. This can be the most basic things- I'm not sure of the wiring of a plug, to be honest, because I've only seen it done once. I don't know how to iron... at least not very well anyway, mostly because I've managed to avoid doing it for most of my life. On cleaning the toilet, I know full well that I'm meant to clean the toilet with the toilet brush... but am not completely sure where I'm meant to clean the toilet brush. I mean, cleaning it in the sink seems kind of nasty- I improvise, certainly, but I imagine there is a best way of doing these things.

Cooking is one of the worst disciplines for this, because language is so assumed- my favourite type of measurment involves a cup, a ludicrously vague measurement. Or, indeed, even microwaving, the simplest thing in the world, almost always includes the instruction "check that the food is piping hot throughout." Huh? Piping hot? How hot is piping hot? Really hot, I imagine, but I've touched many cold, or indeed luke warm pipes in my time. I imagine there is some kind of industry standard on piping hot, but it remains a mystery to me.

There are other things that still confuse me despite going over them several times. The inner workings of a fridge, for example, are rather complex, simply because it's very easy to heat something... but another thing entirely to cool it, because what you are doing is removing heat.

For ages I did not understand vectors, thanks to an uncanny ability to be ill during those lessons, leaving me baffled to their applications and meaning. Luckily I've got to grasps with them nowadays, as otherwise I might be in a little bit of trouble... pretty much all of my courses.

I'm sure I could go on, but I might get more embarrased. Are there any basic areas where you find yourselves lacking?

4 Comments:

At 12:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

arrows on Halo!

And it's not always blue as you claim! When capturing red flags etc it's red! Thus the confusion as to why the blue arrow pointed to the red base!

 
At 5:37 pm, Blogger jo_jo said...

Your way IS the best way.

 
At 5:50 pm, Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

This was one of your best posts ever. It made me smile because it's true, and some of your best writing.

And I think you're just supposed to put the toilet brush in the toilet water and flush it. It already has cleaning chemicals on it, and I don't expect it to get any cleaner than the toilet itself.

 
At 7:26 pm, Blogger Mr K said...

OHH! In the toilet and flush! That makes so much sense!

And thank you, I rather like this post too. (and anon... you're a fool. How many times have you played Halo exactly?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home