Thursday, January 12, 2006

you gov

I have been visiting you gov for a while now. Basically, you do surverys, and they give you money. However, you are not allowed to collect until you get £50. I started about a month ago, with a starting balance of 1 pound. Since then? I have £1.50. Not exactly a big money venture, but every little helps I guess.

Free money is always difficult to get hold of, as it seems most people are very unwilling to give it to me, unfortunately. I imagine if you're famous it's better. At least, thats what I gather from films and stuff, where celebrities are given free meals and goodies of various sorts. But then people take photos of them and put them in magaizines saying such things as "look, they look a bit bad here!" Or, "look, they are kissing their lover!". When my sister used to get Heat, and I would, out of unbearable curiosity, browse it's pages, a remarkable amount of pages seemed to be dedicated to long distance shots of couples, utterly legitimate couples, having coffee, and possibly kissing. I mean, that's not interesting when it's people I actually know! It does worry me that Heat and the Sun sell so well....

According to the recent Richard Dawkins documentary/rant about religon, the root of all evil, 43% of Americans believe the world is 10,000 years old. REALLY? That beggars belief, it really does, surely America, the richest nation in the world, has an education system decent enough to show this just isn't true. I mean for crying out loud, the Egyptian nation dates back that far! I'm pretty sure we have written documents from before that! That's madness, that really is. I don't really have anything witty to say about that, other than that is a kind of frightening ignorance.

4 Comments:

At 2:57 pm, Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

I don't think we do have any written documents or recorded history that dates back much further than 6,000 years, let alone 10,000. So if you ignore geological and radiological evidence (which are easy to do because they're hard for some to understand and easy to criticize/find ways around) and don't believe in evolution then it doesn't seem so bizarre to believe that.

 
At 6:20 pm, Blogger Complex said...

Hmm, well the Sumerian Cuneiform dates from around 5500 years ago, so if that is what you mean by written documents then that is true. (EDIT: I jsut read that new discoveries of writing on 8600 year old shells may challenge the above information.)

How about the drawings on cave walls though? I believe that 28,000 year old markings are on display at the Arcy-sur-cure (or however it is spelled.) But I assume that people would argue that the dating techniques are flawed.

My response to that is that this is clearly true, and in fact the world was created not long ago by the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Any evidence to the contrary was put there by His Noodly Appendage to test us.

 
At 8:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, it was me. I built the world last week and put the contrary evidence there. Your memories are all my creation.

Yhwh

 
At 8:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, frik off, Y-man, we did all that.

The Alien Brothers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home