Saturday, January 07, 2006

BACK!

Yes, I've been a way for... some amount of time, mainly because of a lack of inspiration. To be fair, that's still there, but I'm back in Bath, and here there are hijinks aplenty. I plan to.... well... revise to be fully honest. But wildly!

Exams really are a terrible way of assesing how good someone is at a subject. 2 hours. 2 hours to assess three months of learning. If my mind goes blank, or you ask a question I do not happen to know the answer to, despite knowing everything else, then suddenly I am deemed "bad" at this subject. It's insane, and the governments schemes of increasing the amount of exams kids take is even more insane. Having said that, I do examine rather well, so the system works for me. But it really shouldn't. I don't know what form of assesment is better, admittedly, coursework in mathematics having the difficulty that one can consult notes or the internet and find a solution. And in mathematics no-one can tell if you have solved something by looking it up online, because generally there are only a few ways of doing a question. So meh. I just wish I didn't spend a 1/6 of my life revising and doing my exams. This will continue for another year, too, and if I end up becoming an accountant or actuary, I can look forward to a career of exams. Woohoo.

4 Comments:

At 8:24 pm, Blogger Jeff said...

Happy New Year and best of luck to the exams :)

 
At 12:56 pm, Blogger Phil Plasma said...

I'm going through the same thing now in training to become an air traffic controller. I have to have perfectly memorized dozens of articles from my manual of operations, of which I will then have to recite maybe twenty or so on an exam. Not fun, but what other way do they have of assuring that we know what we need to know to do what we are learning to do?

 
At 7:12 pm, Blogger jo_jo said...

I agree it sucks. Especially when you are examined in things that you will never need again or can easily google if you do. It's more important to spark the spirit of inquiry and creativity, unless of course, you are learning to be an air traffic controller.

 
At 2:23 am, Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

I agree about exams . . . everyone in my Torts and Legal Process classes thought I was smart because of the things I said in class, and yet they are tied for my lowest grades in law school.

Incidentally, I am also back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home