Sunday, January 08, 2006

Searching for holidays

On a whim (well, not at all on a whim actually, but never mind) I was looking for short breaks away in April kind of time. This led me to the problem with search engines on websites. They are almost all crap. A lot of websites this is ok on, because you can simply use google to search within that website, which it is better at about 9 times out of 10. However in the case of searching for holidays you want to be rather specific and it is difficult to specifiy things like "under £100" in google. What I learnt was the site in question loved france, as whatever I searched for, it inevitably said it could not find exactly what I was searching for, but here are some close matches.... they were all in france. I'm not sure why this is, perhaps the site creator is French.

Or, you know, holidays to France are cheap. Whatever.

Anyways, I was thinking briefly about nunchucks. Now, I've seen nunchucks in action and admittedly they can be impressive, but ultimately they are rather impractical as a weapon, which begs the question... who invented them? Swords are obvious- a long sharp bit of metal is hardly an innovation, and neither is a long stick with a sharp bit at the end. Or, you know, just a long stick. But two sticks, attached by bits of metal in the middle? Now thats just crazy talk. I suspect they were created to show off rather than to actually hurt people with, as you can use proper weapons for that. Interestingly, I have chosen not to perform any research on this subject. That would just be silly.

2 Comments:

At 6:21 pm, Blogger Complex said...

And lo, my life has use!
I'm surprised P couldn’t set you right on this one...

They were originally horse-bits in China (not rice flails). There were prohibitions on weapons, which meant those who did not approve of the government were forced to use less obvious weapons when they wanted to do a bit of rebelling. I think there are several unusual weapons that came about due to this law.

Anyway, two heavy bits of wood on a rope proved very useful for bashing in the heads of the Chinese authority.

Damn the man!

 
At 9:23 pm, Blogger Mr K said...

That is actually rather interesting. It's like why pigs feet are eaten and stuff. Ok, maybe not pigs feet- but offal, that kind of stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home