Friday, November 25, 2005

Grand Chav auto

I can't remember who it was who thought that chav was pronounced "sharve", making the mean have rather different connotations. Anyway, the term chav appears to be hip these days, usually in a negative manner. I have yet to hear someone pat someone on the back heartily and tell them they are a chav. Well, at least not kindly, anyway.

I was thinking that it would be great to have a game about this subsection of society. Imagine it. Drink your way through a bottle or two of white lightning (it occurs to me that one day I should try it out... when I was a kid we'd have bottles of strongbow. But I come from a very middle class town), then run wild, chucking stones through windows, burning cars, graffiting walls, dodging asbos, until finally you become king of the chavs!

On a note of titles, one particular insult I kind of miss from childhood is "gaylord". I love it, because it seems to imply some kind of almighty power over other homosexuals. I AM THE LORD OF THE GAYS! ALL GAYS MUST BOW BEFORE ME. COME, MY HOMOSEXUAL ARMY, TOGETHER WE SHALL CONQUER THIS EARTH.

If only insults came literally true eh? Actually, thinking about it, thats probably a bad idea... I'll leave you to think of the possibilites.

6 Comments:

At 12:13 pm, Blogger Phil Plasma said...

Okay, so once I'm done thinking of the possibilities, what do I do?

 
At 5:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it was Stephen Fry who is responsible for the pronunciation "sharve."

 
At 10:54 pm, Blogger cait said...

What is a chav? I'm sorry, I'm from Canada, we call people "tools." Well, I call people tools. I think I may be alone in this, actually.

 
At 11:32 pm, Blogger Mr K said...

heh, http://www.flashplayer.com/music/inmeburberrry.html can roughly cover it. A fellow, generally in their teens to early twenties, who wears sports wear, and spends time sitting around with friends drinking white lightning (dreadfully cheap cider). The worst kinds go around threatening OAPs and... actually everyone who is not a chav to be honest.

Essentially, a crude characterisation of a portion of the working class in the UK.

 
At 2:15 am, Blogger cait said...

Ah! I think I saw some of those when I was in London. We don't have those here (nor do we have cheap cider--only Strongbow, pretty much, which is $6.50/pint, which is quite ridiculous by Canadian standards)--our equivalent would be "chotches." They gather in parking lots and drink cheap domestic beer (usually Boh or something equally disgusting) and look under the hoods of each other's cars, and are terrified of homosexuals. Usually they're middle class, though.

 
At 4:30 pm, Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

I was under the impression that a chav was the equivalent of what we call here wiggers (white niggers), or people who act like they're from the urban gang culture but they are in fact trailer trash or suburbanites.

Actually I'm not too sure how common the term "wigger" is anymore. It might be offensive in many areas. Since nobody in my hometown is black, it didn't really offend anyone.

And here the equivalent beverage would probably be Old English 800 or Colt 45. It needs to be a 40oz beer, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home