Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Requests

"ok ok blog about something you really enjoy that you dont get to do much/at all. Cos I dont know and we could do it... depending on what it is."

Hmm, I'm sure there are things like this, although I can't honestly think of many. Ok, any. I'd like to pretend I have some hidden guilty pleasures, and while I probably do, they're things I can do by myself. Ooh, that sounds worse than I meant it.

OK. I'll think on this one and get back to it.

Americans. Hmm. I have no particular problem with Americans, although I do despair that apparently Bush got 40% approval ratings for the way he handled the New Orleans thing. Who can honestly believe that he has done well recently? A national disaster, and his response was an unprecedented press conference. To be honest, I'm not particularly sure why people voted for him either, clearly economic times can't be too bad- as long as the economy is good, the incumbent has a huge advantage. Apparently hes running up huge deficits.

But americans can be fun. I have chatted drunkenly to many a random american, one of which berated me for not having seen Blues Brothers, which is apparently the best film ever. I have since corrected this, but I don't really think its the best film ever. But yeah, in general americans are ok. I hate to characterise all people at once, but americans are certainly far more forthright with their opinions, and very, very confident that the US is the best place to live. Even the most patriotic brit can be embarrased by our noble nation now and then. Hah, I'm evening laughing at the word noble applied to our nation. The British empire being a shining example throughout the ages...

4 Comments:

At 9:35 pm, Blogger Ben said...

I too have spoken to many pleasant Americans, but my main problem with them in general is they tend to be ignorant yet also arrogant. Just this week we had some Americans order haddock for breakfast, it was too late to cook it cos they were last as usual. We say "we don't have any haddock" and the American then replies is it some kind of bacon? My mum says no it's a fish, so he says "I'll just have the regular bacon then".
I think that's what pisses people off most. Like you say they don't mind making themselves heard even though they're probably talking a load of bollocks.

 
At 1:53 am, Blogger Jeff said...

Yeah I agree that we just can't characterise a group of people at once. But I think there're some exceptions, like ALL the americans, they play 'soccer', not 'football'. In a 'soccer' game, you can't do any sliding tackle, otherwise u'll be carded...

Now I do understand why they call 'football' 'soccer', because 'soccer' is not referring to 'football' apparently...

 
At 2:38 pm, Blogger Fresher said...

The thing that pisses me off about stereotypical Americans( I know it's not all of them, just the ones I have met or who run the US government) is the way they seem to treat the rest of the world like some alien planet or even worse like some sort of project that they have nurtured and fathered thoughout history. At least we Brits have learned from our mistakes of treating the world like our own personal playground, well sort of.

 
At 7:04 pm, Blogger Phil Plasma said...

Being from Canada I can represent how some of us think of some of them yanks. Always friendly, but often ignorant of anything happening outside of the US. This isn't their own fault, it is the high octane propaganda machine. There is also a very clear line between the north and the south, yanks and rednecks. It is like two really distinctively different groups.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home